Your browser does not support JavaScript!

Home    Search  

Results - Details

Search command : Author="Μπριασούλης"  And Author="Γεώργιος"

Current Record: 30 of 30

Back to Results Previous page
Next page
Add to Basket
[Add to Basket]
Identifier 000369411
Title Αναδρομική μελέτη δείγματος παιδιών που χρειάστηκαν νοσηλεία εντατικής θεραπείας παίδων
Alternative Title Retrospective analysis of a sample of children who need hospitalization in a pediatric intensive care unit
Author Σπανάκη, Άννα Μαρία
Thesis advisor Φιλαλήθης, Αναστάσιος
Reviewer Λιονής, Χρήστος
Μπριασούλης, Γεώργιος
Abstract INTRODUCTION: Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) is a specially designed part of the hospital, where specialized medical and nursing care and technical support is used, for the treatment, monitoring and immediate resuscitation of seriously ill infants, children and adolescents, in order to restore health and ensure their lives. PURPOSE: The analysis of the socioeconomic characteristics of the children’s families, hospitalized in PICU, at the University General Hospital of Heraklion, Crete. METHODS: A sample of 127 children and adolescents, hospitalized from 10/05/2008 to 10/5/2009, were analyzed retrospectively: age, gender, parents’ age, nationality, residence, marital status, number of children in the families, parents’ education and employment, insurance and way of transportation, and were correlated with the days of hospitalization, severity scores and outcome. Data analysis was performed with the SPSS 17. RESULTS: 73 (57.5%) of the 127 children in the study, were males and 54 (42.5%) girls, mean age 4.5 and 6.7 years respectively (p = 0,037). 78.2% were Greeks, and from the remaining 21.8%, 4.1% tourists, 17.5% immigrants and 2.3% gypsy. There was no significant difference in the distribution for gender (p = 0,487). There was a statistically significant difference in educational level of both parents, in relation to nationality (p ΄&λτ0,011). About 75% of foreign parents were illiterate or primary school graduates, 15% high school graduates and only 7% technical schools/university graduates. From Greeks, only 10% were illiterate or primary school graduates, 70% high school graduates and the remaining approximately 20% technical schools /university graduates. A statistically significant higher value of the TISS 28 and TISS 76 (worst condition) was found in foreigners, 32.1 (5-232) and 22 (2-53) compared to Greeks, 18,4 (5-46) and 15,6 (2-44), with p = 0,013, and 0,021 respectively. Children transported by ambulance / airplane, had significantly higher PRISM and PRISM Predicted Mortality (%) severity scores (a more serious condition), higher TISS 28 and TISS 76 ( p = 0.003), than those in-hospital (p = 0.020 and p = 0.018), and more days of hospitalization (p = 0.024). Among foreigner children, the ones, transferred by ambulance or airplane, had higher death rate, and thus worse outcome (p = 0,068) CONCLUSIONS: The severity of illness, duration of hospitalization and outcome, appear to be related to the socioeconomic characteristics of families and the way of transportation. The state, which wants to defend people's health, but also ensure its economic survival, has to reduce the ‘expensive’ duration of PICU hospitalization, by facing all the socio-economic factors that threaten health status, and by improving health services, particularly in primary care.
Language Greek
Subject Child, hospitalized
Socio-Economic Analysis
Κοινωνικοοικονομική ανάλυση
Issue date 2010-07-20
Collection   Faculty/Department--School of Medicine--Department of Medicine--Post-graduate theses
  Type of Work--Post-graduate theses
Notes Δημόσια υγεία-Διοίκηση Υπηρεσιών Υγείας
Permanent Link Bookmark and Share
Views 101

Digital Documents
No preview available

View document
Views : 19